When seniors buy a new car, they typically look for vehicles with features that accommodate their changing physical abilities and lifestyle needs. According to [Carfax]1, some common priorities for seniors include:
Easy entry and exit: Seniors prefer cars that are easy to get in and out of, with low doorsills and wide openings. They may also look for vehicles with raised seating heights, which make it easier to enter and exit the car.
Comfortable seats: Seniors may opt for cars with supportive seats that can be adjusted to accommodate physical limitations, such as back problems or limited mobility.
Visibility: Good visibility is a top priority for seniors. They may seek out vehicles with large windows, minimal blind spots, and optional features like backup cameras and blind-spot monitoring.
Safety features: Seniors often prioritize vehicles with advanced safety features, such as lane departure warning, forward collision warning, and automatic emergency braking2. These features can help prevent accidents and provide added peace of mind while driving.
Reliability: Seniors may choose cars with a reputation for reliability to minimize the need for repairs and ensure they have a dependable vehicle.
Low maintenance costs: Seniors on a fixed income may look for cars with low maintenance costs and good fuel efficiency to save on expenses in the long run.
By prioritizing these features, seniors can find a car that meets their needs and makes driving safer and more comfortable
Here are some popular cars for seniors, along with their models, descriptions, and approximate prices:
- Subaru Legacy: The Subaru Legacy is known for its comfortable interior, smooth ride, and all-wheel drive capability. It offers a great combination of safety features and reliability. The 2023 Subaru Legacy has a starting price of $24,395
- Honda CR-V: The Honda CR-V is a popular compact SUV for seniors. Its spacious and comfortable interior, excellent fuel efficiency, and strong safety ratings make it a great choice. The 2023 Honda CR-V starts at around $31,610
- Kia Soul: The Kia Soul is a compact car with a unique and boxy design. It offers easy entry and exit, ample cargo space, and a smooth ride. The 2020 Kia Soul has a starting price of around $17,5903.
- Buick Encore GX: The Buick Encore GX is a compact SUV that offers a comfortable and quiet ride, user-friendly technology, and a good fuel economy. It provides a higher seating position, making it easier for seniors to get in and out of the vehicle. The starting price for the Buick Encore GX is approximately $25,000
- Chrysler 300: The Chrysler 300 is a traditional big American sedan that offers a comfortable and luxurious driving experience. It features a spacious interior, smooth ride, and a strong V6 engine. The starting price for the Chrysler 300 is around $30,570
It’s important to note that prices may vary depending on factors such as trim level, optional features, and location. It’s recommended to visit the manufacturer’s website or contact a local dealership for the most up-to-date and accurate pricing information.
Carfax. (2021). Best Cars for Seniors.
AAA. (2019). Senior Driver Safety & Mobility.
U.S. News – Best Cars for Older Drivers
CARFAX – Best Cars for Seniors in 2023
Cars.com – The Best Cars for Senior Drivers
Consumer Reports – Best Cars for Every Life Stage: Savvy Seniors