Walking is one of the best forms of exercise for adults because it is low-impact, easy on the joints, and can be done almost anywhere. Regular walking can help adults maintain their balance, improve their cardiovascular health, and reduce their risk of falls. Here are some tips for adults who want to start walking:
- Start slow: If you are new to walking, start with short walks around the block. Gradually increase the distance and speed over time.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Invest in a good pair of supportive walking shoes that fit well and provide cushioning for your feet.
- Use a walking aid if needed: If you have balance issues or feel unsteady on your feet, consider using a walking aid, such as a cane or walker.
- Stay hydrated: Bring a water bottle with you and take sips regularly to stay hydrated.
- Walk with a friend: Walking with a friend can make the experience more enjoyable and provide motivation to keep going.
- Walk in a safe area: Choose well-lit areas with smooth, level surfaces to avoid tripping hazards.
- Listen to your body: If you feel pain or discomfort while walking, stop and take a break. It’s important to listen to your body and not overdo it. There are several great options for walking shoes for seniors. The following are some of the best walking shoes for seniors:
- New Balance 608 V5 Cross Trainer for men and Vionic Women’s Walker Classic Walking Shoes for women are the best overall walking shoes according to experts at Verywell Fit .
- Dr. Comfort Refresh for Women is the best women’s walking shoe, Dr. Comfort Performance for Men is the best men’s shoe runner-up, and SAS VTO for Men is the best men’s athletic shoe, according to Forbes Health .
- Vionic Walker Classic shoe and Skechers Performance Go Walk Arch Fit shoe are two of the best podiatrist-recommended walking shoes for older adults, according to HuffPost .
- Nobull Runner+ is the best overall walking shoe for comfort, according to ACTIVE .
- Hush Puppies and New Balance are two other brands known for designing shoes for seniors, according to livestrong .
When selecting walking shoes for seniors, it’s important to look for features like orthopedic support, roomy toe boxes, Velcro straps, no laces, non-slip soles, soft and breathable materials, and cushioned midsoles.